Australian visa application can be a bit difficult to go through. There are different types of visas available, and also different applications for the types of visas you need. Here is a step-by-step guide on how you can apply for an Australia visa online and on paper at the embassy or consulate.
The application options for the Australian visa application also depend on your nationality and the purpose of the visa application.
Types of Australian Visa
Australian visas are divided into categories. These visa types are issued for different reasons:
- Visitor Visa. This type of visa is issued to tourists and short-term travellers. This visa is not for you to stay permanently in Australia. It includes the following authorizations and visas:
- Tourist Visa.
- Electronic Travel Authority.
- Medical Treatment Visa.
- Study and Training Visas. This is issued to students coming to school in Australia, trainees, parents and guardians of underage international students in Australia. There are
- Student Visa.
- Training Visa.
- Student Guardian Visa.
- Parent Visas. This visa is given to parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens. This means that these parents are not Australian citizens themselves. The visa is divided into the following:
- Parent Visa.
- Aged Parent Visa.
- Contributory Aged Parent Visas.
- Contributory Parent Visa (Temporary).
- Contributory Parent Visa.
- Family Visas. This type is issued to adult dependent relatives, minors or carers to an Australian citizen, permanent residents or any New Zealand citizen. The Visa is divided into:
- Adoption Visa.
- Aged Dependent Relative Visa.
- Carer Visas.
- Dependent Child Visa.
- New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (Temporary).
- Orphan Relative Visas.
- Remainung Relative Visas.
- Partner Visas. This is given to spouses, partners or prospective spouses of Australian citizens, Permanent residents or eligible citizens of New Zealand. It is divided into:
- Prospective Marriage Visa.
- Partner Visa (Provisional).
- Partner Visa (Migrant).
- Partner Visa (Temporary).
- Partner Visa (Permanent).
- Humanitarian Visas. These visas are given to refugees. These are refugees that fulfil Australian protection obligations. The visas are divided into:
- Refugee Visa.
- Global Special Humanitarian.
- Protection Visa.
- Temporary Protection Visa.
- Safe Haven Enterprise Visa.
- Bridging Visas. Holders of this visa can stay in Australia while the Australian immigration application is processed.
- Work Visas. With this visa, you are allowed to work and earn in Australia legally. And based on the type of work you do, it is divided into:
- Global Talent Visa.
- Employer Nomination Scheme.
- Permanent Residence Visa (Skilled Regional).
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme.
- Skilled Employer-Sponsored Regional Visa (Provisional).
- Skilled Independent Visa.
- Skilled Nominated Visa.
- Skilled Recognised-Graduate Visa.
- Skilled Regional Visa.
- Skilled Work Regional Visa.
- Temporary Activity Visa.
- Temporary Graduate Visa.
- Temporary Work Visa (International Relations).
- Temporary Work Visa (Short Stay Specialist).
- Temporary Skill Shortage Visa.
- Business and Investment Visas. This is issued to business owners who have an interest in operating a business in Australia. Or who wish to invest in Australia.
- Work and Holiday Visas. Issued to citizens of certain countries. These are countries that have a work and holiday agreement with Australia.
- Transit Visa. Holders of these visas are allowed to pass through Australia for up to 72 hours.
- Special Category Visa.
- Resident Return Visas.
- Declaratory Visa.
How to Apply for an Australia Visa?
There are two different ways available for you to apply for an Australian visa:
- Online application.
- Paper application.
Beginning in 2015, the Australian government stopped giving visa labels for passports. This means that all Australian visa records are available in the Visa Entitlement Verification Online service (VEVO). Online Australian visa applications are now easier for storing all your data. And this makes the reviewing process faster and easier.
While the online application has been introduced, some countries or some Australian visa types are not open to the online application process. And a paper application is used in these cases.
For every type of Australian visa application sent, a set of guidelines has to be followed
Australia Visa Application Online Steps
For sending an online application, these are some of the steps to follow:
- Create an online account.
- Select the type of visa.
- Fill out the Australian visa form.
- Attach the required documents.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit the application.
READ ALSO: United States Diversity Visa 2023 (DV-2023)
Create an Online Account
This is the first thing you have to do when applying for a visa via the online method. You can open this individual online account at the official website of the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs (ImmiAccount). There is no fee required before you can open an account.
With this account, you manage your visa application, attach the required documents, and also follow up with your visa reviewing process.
If the applicant applying for the visa is an organisation, there is an option for an organisational account. This option is open to:
- An organisation.
- A registered Migration agent.
- A sponsoring company.
Select the Type of Visa
There are different types of Australian visas you can select. This is dependent on the reason you want to go to Australia.
Fill out the Australian Visa Form
There is a different way of filling out the application form for different visas. When you select the type of visa you want, you go ahead to fill in the required details. You also enter the reason you want to go to Australia and the duration of your stay.
If applying with family members/friends, every person will be required to have their own application form.
Attach the Required Documents
If you are using the Online Australian Visa application format, you can attach your documents this way:
- Select the option “attach a document”
- Then select to who you are attaching the document.
- Select your reason for attaching this document.
- Select the type of document.
- Name the file.
- Select attach.
The documents required depend on the types of visa you are applying for. Some of the general requirements you will be asked for include; your Passport, Identity Pictures, Travel Insurance, and your Financial Statements. The copies of the documents have to be scanned in coloured copies.
Pay the Application Fees
The Australian Visa Application fees depend on the visa type. But you will be asked to pay the visa application fee before your application can be submitted.
You can pay the online application fees via different means. Either with a debit or credit card or with Paypal.
Submit the Australian Visa Application
When you are done with the steps above, you can then submit your visa application. With your ImmiAccount, you can always go back and contact the Australian government, if anything has changed.
Some of these changes can be your address. The Department of Foreign Affairs has to be notified if this happens via the account.
Australia Visa Paper Application Steps
Here are the steps you need to take for an Australia visa paper application:
- Find the nearest Australian embassy/consulate.
- Set up a meeting at an Australian office.
- Verify the required documents.
- Fill in the application form.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit the visa application.
If an online application cannot be done, you can go ahead and submit a paper application to the consulate or the Australian Embassy.
Documents Required for Australian Visa Application
When sending an Australian visa application, these are the documents that you will be required t submit:
- Paid Visa fee.
- Australian Visa Form.
- An Identity Picture.
- A National Identity Card.
- Police Certificate.
- All Family Certificates.
- Evidence of your Financial Means.
- Health Insurance.
- An Authorised Recipient Form.
- Detailed Itinerary for your Stay.
- Evidence of Temporary Stay.
- Accommodation Reservations.
- Employer Permission
- Invitation Letter.